www.airgunsinc.org

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
www.airgunsinc.org

Enjoy a not-out-of-the box free thinking forum dedicated to discussing or buying/selling your hunt, gear, favorite airgun, tactics in regard to Air Guns from the newbie to the very experienced even if you're doing nothing more than collecting!

Username:
Password:
Log me on automatically at each visit:
:: I forgot my password

Contribute to www.airgunsinc.org

Who is online?

In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

Most users ever online was 185 on Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:01 am

5 posters

Can you store air guns upright?

Squirrel
    Squirrel
    Ranger Plus

Can you store air guns upright? Empty Can you store air guns upright?

Post by Squirrel Sat Aug 13, 2011 10:47 am

I've been told by a few not to store my AGs in an upright position.

Is this true? And why?

I'm thinking of redoing by way of home made endeavor new gun racks for my heard. They have out grown the roost here at yours truly's residence as they are currently stored.

Anybody care to weigh in?
    StubExt
    StubExt
    Field Ranger
    Field Ranger

Can you store air guns upright? Empty Re: Can you store air guns upright?

Post by StubExt Sun Aug 14, 2011 7:38 pm

The only thing I heard about are the floating PCP barrels and leaning them again a wall like a Marauder. They are heavy enough that they could become tweaked. I don't worry about that too much with my springers, pumps, or even Airforce guns although I don't generally lean any of my expensive airguns against the wall.
    Squirrel
    Squirrel
    Ranger Plus

Post by Squirrel Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:13 pm

StubExt wrote:The only thing I heard about are the floating PCP barrels and leaning them again a wall like a Marauder. They are heavy enough that they could become tweaked. I don't worry about that too much with my springers, pumps, or even Airforce guns although I don't generally lean any of my expensive airguns against the wall.
    Thanks, Stub. I'd heard different from different sources and figured I put it to the forum to find out.

Recently I asked a source I trust above all others and it tells me "okay to store upright". cheers

My reason for asking is that I have these two gun racks that are horizontal. They really aren't good for scoped guns and four tiers become two on each with space left over and I wanted to do something about that. I wanted to do upright but had some conflicting reports on this so I held off.

Now I know that I can I'm going to make a rack that will span the same space but hold triple the AGs. This will give me room for a shelf underneath to put categorized bins for each of my herd's favorite grazing lead types---and a log for each if I can ever get *that* started as well! Sleep

Thanks again! Smile
    PETER
    PETER
    Club Member of the Ranges

Can you store air guns upright? Empty AG storage

Post by PETER Sun Nov 13, 2011 8:57 am

I store my guns upright. But I store them atop a track. The butt sits on a raised rail, that way the top of the pad doesn't deform.
    Attachments
    Can you store air guns upright? AttachmentImage00001.jpg
    what lurks behind closed doors
    You don't have permission to download attachments.
    (27 Kb) Downloaded 6 times
    Abda
    Abda
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Abda Sun Nov 13, 2011 2:21 pm

Yea, I'm going to be selling off my two gun racks. They are great little pieces of furniture to be sure but they will only hold two scoped AGs. I have several more than that.

I'm going to build a rail type that I can put a chain through. I took a trip to Florida recently and all I did is dream, among my other bad dreams, is about someone running off with my toys I mean my therapy equipment. Smile

Getting to be a mess around here anyway. This'll help me get more organized.

But first I have to clean that mess in the shop before I can any of this!

Ugh! . . . affraid

Nice collection by the way!
    PETER
    PETER

Can you store air guns upright? Empty I ain't a collector...

Post by PETER Sun Nov 13, 2011 3:34 pm

but then -- d'nile ain't just a river. farao Most of my long AG are in the pic, about a dozen are disassembled awaiting stocks and or modification. And six more are being converted to bullpups. My toybox is a interior walk-in closet converted to a safe. The interior is double wall frame and sheetrock w/ expanded metal inbeded into brown plaster in the inside. The door opens into a hallway so there is little kicking leverage. The solid door doesn't have a doorknob-just a deadbolt [pull open using the key]. Air pistols are in their cases on the oposite wall along w/ shelves for parts. There are no pellets stored there. The tens-of-thousands of pellets are elseware. That's a lot of guns---but then again I still have empty closet space elseware What a Face
    Abda
    Abda
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Abda Sun Nov 13, 2011 6:56 pm

THANK YOU SO MUCH! I wanna be just like you when I grow up, Peter!

Green wtih Envy

lol!
    PETER
    PETER

Can you store air guns upright? Empty I dunno.....

Post by PETER Sun Nov 13, 2011 7:54 pm

Can you store air guns upright? 1497655283 Happy belated birthday old man...

I dunno- --my hobby has run-a-muck.

But must admit --I have FUNN Laughing
    longhunter
    Ranger
    Ranger

Post by longhunter Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:08 am

the only concern with storing guns upright is that the oil used in the action can gravitate down into the wood of the stock, possibly staining or weakening it. also, if you have an ldc attached do not lean the gun on it. aluminum will warp under it's own weight, let alone the added weight of the firearm. this can cause clipping and we all know you don't want that.
    Abda
    Abda
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Abda Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:37 am

Ditto on the leaning a gun with an LDC on it against something. I got one of the best ones I ever got from Neil, a guy who used to post here a lot before he and I had a difference of opinion. Great guy. I miss him.

Anyway, anyone can tell you that it's hard to make a Career Ultra 9mm (357 or there abouts) backyard friendly. It was shooting great and it took me a forever to figure out that I'd done just exactly that, warped it so that it didn't shoot straight on the POI anymore.

Sad, it was one of the best I'd ever had for that Ultra.

Lessons learned, I reckon.

So, ditto!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 15, 2024 11:46 pm