www.airgunsinc.org

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
www.airgunsinc.org

Enjoy a not-out-of-the box free thinking forum dedicated to discussing or buying/selling your hunt, gear, favorite airgun, tactics in regard to Air Guns from the newbie to the very experienced even if you're doing nothing more than collecting!

Username:
Password:
Log me on automatically at each visit:
:: I forgot my password

Contribute to www.airgunsinc.org

Who is online?

In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

Most users ever online was 185 on Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:01 am

+4
donwalk
Squirrel
ralphy101again
Rob Hawkins
8 posters

What's your favorite springer?

Rob Hawkins
    Rob Hawkins
    Range Master
    Range Master

What's your favorite springer? Empty What's your favorite springer?

Post by Rob Hawkins Sat May 28, 2011 6:17 pm

This looks like a good topic to start this forum.
    Mine is my HW50S .177.
    BKL 263 mount.
    Hawke 3-9X40 Airmax scope.
    I kill everything I aim at within 45 yards.
    Rob
    ralphy101again
    ralphy101again
    Entering the Ranges
    Entering the Ranges

What's your favorite springer? Empty Re: What's your favorite springer?

Post by ralphy101again Sat May 28, 2011 7:28 pm

I own a good many airguns , higher end , more powerful but my : go-to backyard favorite is my hw30 with hawke 2x7 airmax . Accurate and light , powerful enough for small pests to 30 yds.
    Squirrel
    Squirrel
    Ranger Plus

What's your favorite springer? Empty Does Nitro Count?

Post by Squirrel Sat May 28, 2011 8:56 pm

Rob Hawkins wrote:This looks like a good topic to start this forum.
    Mine is my HW50S .177.
    BKL 263 mount.
    Hawke 3-9X40 Airmax scope.
    I kill everything I aim at within 45 yards.
    Rob

At 45 yards? Touché my Air Gunning Brother! That’s something to be proud of! You should got to the shoots or at least see if you can qualify.

I hope Nitro Piston counts! It's the only one I got like a springer!

I snapped a few pics of mine. If I had my druthers the AO would be side wheel but otherwise I'm happy with the scope: Warning, this one can be hard on scopes! Busted a brand new one and the company had to make good on it. But I like the sites you can use without a scope (deadly accurate) and the butt pad that comes with 3 additional plate inserts to extend your lenght of pull: I didn't need any of them. I guess I'm just a short stocky fellow. But the safty is nice and easy to reach with your thumb as well. But at 8 and a quarter pounds, without a scope, this one is a heavy one: Not all that light. But you get used to it. Makes my others, like the carbines, seem like feathers!

As you can see by my list, it's my Walther Falcon Hunter .22. I quit counting the squirrels I've taken with it at over 50. I get them, mostly, at 10 to 25 yards but have pulled off shots at 35 and 40. The latter more luck than skill I'll grant you.

Mine likes to eat the Predator Polymag. Oh, boy, and is it accurate with those fur busters! You can get a spine shot, if necessary, and cut the spine right in two as far as 40 yards: I've done it more on accident than on purpose.

But standing free hand? A 15 yards I can get just under a one inch group. Sometimes, if my blood pressure is down and my heart doesn’t beat too hard, I can cut that down to a half inch. At 30 yards it's a bit harder and a group of 1.5 inches is something I tend to be happy with. But, too, when the adrenaline takes over on a real shot, I get that tunnel vision and make the shot when I otherwise couldn't.

I can do mid just under 900s FPS on the first few shots with a Polymag 16.x (according to my powder scale, they waver .2 to .4 grains, averaging about 16.4 or .5) But if I keep hammering and fatigue the piston it drops a little in FPS.

One of the amazing things I've found is that I don't have to adjust my 3x9x50 A0 Leapers scope to switch over to the Benjamin Discovery .22 cal 14.3gr. Actually, long distances aren't as good with this round compared to the Polymag although the trajectory is a bit flatter. The FPS steps up about 50 FPS as well. Really is handy when I’m out of or can’t afford more of the Polymag (Little pricey)

The big thing I've noticed about these "spring action" guns is that it you try to shoot them on a bench you can never equal the same performance free hand shooting or vice versa. The action of the spring going back and forth creates a completely different dynamic from bench to hand and back again. I just use the bench to get close and fine tune the rest by standing free shot. I’ve never had my grubby paws on a .177 but, if they are like the .22 I have and the Crossman Titan I had, yea, that would about sum it up.

I did a lot of research before I got this one. And I'm glad I got it. It's my go-to gun when I can't remember the last time I aired up my PCP Air Rifles or even know if any of them have pellets at the ready. Regardless, it doesn't matter to Mr. Walther Falcon Hunter: He's always ready, a few pellets where he keeps himself on guard and nothing more than a quick cock to spout off to whatever varmint had trespassed upon a place he shouldn't have.

Too, I had to rebuild my Shoebox once. I can't use a hand pump so that meant that it was just me and Mr. Falcon. He really earned his keep those days I was HPA-less.

You can’t beat a spring or nitro for the simplicity and on guard duty that they can pull. Yea, I can hit better and farther with my PCPs but for dependability . . . Or self sufficiency? You can’t beat a springer. Uh, uh.

And there is no worry about if you have your air just where it is supposed to be in pressure. No worry if you have your power dials set just so. Mr. Falcon will shoot the same speed, the same target group on warm, cold days and never waver.

I just haven’t found a springer to take care of operator error yet. That would make this one just about perfect!
    Attachments
    What's your favorite springer? AttachmentS7302709.JPG
    You don't have permission to download attachments.
    (1.8 Mb) Downloaded 1 times
    What's your favorite springer? AttachmentS7302710.JPG
    (1.8 Mb) Downloaded 0 times
    What's your favorite springer? AttachmentS7302711.JPG
    (1.7 Mb) Downloaded 0 times
    What's your favorite springer? AttachmentS7302713.JPG
    (1.8 Mb) Downloaded 0 times

Last edited by Squirrel on Sat May 28, 2011 9:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Squirrel
    Squirrel
    Ranger Plus

What's your favorite springer? Empty Would you suggest?

Post by Squirrel Sat May 28, 2011 9:10 pm

ralphy101again wrote:I own a good many airguns , higher end , more powerful but my : go-to backyard favorite is my hw30 with hawke 2x7 airmax . Accurate and light , powerful enough for small pests to 30 yds.

I'm looking for something I can get my wife so that I can get her into the Air Gunning thing. Something easy enough to cock and not to overly complicated. Would you recommend something like this for her? She's 63, about 5'6" and about 140lbs. She's a worker and all that but doesn't have a lot of upper body strength.

Reason I asked is I looked this one up and see the FPS isn't that high, just like you said, enough to do some damage to some varmints at 30 yards. Bit underpowered, I think, for that distance but I guess it all depends on what you are aiming at and what pellet you use. But, then again, I'm a little like you: I've got a few others that are significantly higher powered and I'm just used to seeing higher numbers.

But do you think you'd consider one like that for a wife of any of your friends? Good way to put it, I think.

Besides: I think I like the idea of lower FPS in case she gets in a tiff and starts thinking about aiming it at me!
    donwalk
    Club Member of the Ranges

Post by donwalk Sun May 29, 2011 12:14 am

i find it hard to beat my Beeman RX and R10
    Squirrel
    Squirrel
    Ranger Plus

Post by Squirrel Sun May 29, 2011 3:24 am

donwalk wrote:i find it hard to beat my Beeman RX and R10

Compared to?

And why?
    donwalk

Post by donwalk Sun May 29, 2011 11:43 am

Squirrel wrote:

Compared to?

And why?

well...I purchased the RX new in approximately 1990 and it's done everything I've ever asked of it; power and accuracy, in the intermediate range, are NOT an issue with this .20 caliber gas ram/piston. reliability and durability have proven to be par excellence; that's evidenced by the fact that after all these years, I've only recently had to have it serviced professionally. it prefers heavier pellets, too; the 23 gr Eun Jins hit really hard from it.

the only 'negative' points about this rifle is the physical, in-hand weight and the recoil...the recoil is not a real determent once one acclimates, though.

I've made some really spectacular 'kill shots' with it from distances i would have scoffed at shooting a few years back.

the Beeman R10 is a fine low/medium powered springer that i find hard to put down when engaged in close in hunting or back yard plinking/target shooting. it seems to be getting better as time goes. it's a light easy to wield, nearly carbine spec, rifle that's also rugged, dependable, and accurate. even with my eyes, i can shoot 'one-hole groups' with this rifle using open sights (using a forward rest, though) at 10M. it will shoot most pellets i feed it but it prefers heavier Crosman Premiers or Beeman Silver Jets/Arrows for premium accuracy/performance.

as most out there in the airgun world are aware of, both these fine rifles are German made and reflect the quality in the use and handling of them.

I've owned a number of other name brand 'springers' over a period of time, but they've "gone their way" the two Beemans have been, and will continue to, stay right here in my rifle rack.

I've recently stepped into the NP piston arena and the rifle i have is not the quality of the Beeman's, IMO, (it is nice, though) I've had more issues with it than i ever had with the two Beemans put together...but, in context with that...i must also admit that i paid nowhere near what i paid for the Beeman, for the NP; usually, the higher the quality, the higher the price, correct?

at one time, Beeman was advertising that they would fill your RX with nitrogen during factory service if you wished...i'd like to try it in the RX now unfortunately i can't afford the support apparatus required to feed it nitrogen. Sad
    Squirrel
    Squirrel
    Ranger Plus

Post by Squirrel Sun May 29, 2011 7:33 pm

donwalk wrote:
    Squirrel wrote:

Compared to?

And why?

well...I purchased the RX new in approximately 1990 and it's done everything I've ever asked of it; power and accuracy, in the intermediate range, are NOT an issue with this .20 caliber gas ram/piston. reliability and durability have proven to be par excellence; that's evidenced by the fact that after all these years, I've only recently had to have it serviced professionally. it prefers heavier pellets, too; the 23 gr Eun Jins hit really hard from it.

the only 'negative' points about this rifle is the physical, in-hand weight and the recoil...the recoil is not a real determent once one acclimates, though.

I've made some really spectacular 'kill shots' with it from distances i would have scoffed at shooting a few years back.

the Beeman R10 is a fine low/medium powered springer that i find hard to put down when engaged in close in hunting or back yard plinking/target shooting. it seems to be getting better as time goes. it's a light easy to wield, nearly carbine spec, rifle that's also rugged, dependable, and accurate. even with my eyes, i can shoot 'one-hole groups' with this rifle using open sights (using a forward rest, though) at 10M. it will shoot most pellets i feed it but it prefers heavier Crosman Premiers or Beeman Silver Jets/Arrows for premium accuracy/performance.

as most out there in the airgun world are aware of, both these fine rifles are German made and reflect the quality in the use and handling of them.

I've owned a number of other name brand 'springers' over a period of time, but they've "gone their way" the two Beemans have been, and will continue to, stay right here in my rifle rack.

I've recently stepped into the NP piston arena and the rifle i have is not the quality of the Beeman's, IMO, (it is nice, though) I've had more issues with it than i ever had with the two Beemans put together...but, in context with that...i must also admit that i paid nowhere near what i paid for the Beeman, for the NP; usually, the higher the quality, the higher the price, correct?

At one time, Beeman was advertising that they would fill your RX with nitrogen during factory service if you wished...I’d like to try it in the RX now unfortunately i can't afford the support apparatus required to feed it nitrogen. Sad

Yea, where there is smoke there is also fire and it is also said you get what you pay for so there must be a bit of truth to them both.

I started out with a Crossman Titan .22 with a G1 Stock nitro. I found it didn't have the "oomph" needed. I was hitting squirrels with it and the squirrels were still running away: Not dropping. When I'd bagged a few that had old pellet scares on them I knew then and there that I'd either need to step up in caliber or get another in .22 that would do the deed. I'd of still kept the Titan for really light duty but that's another now funny story altogether.

I guess to sum it up the durability of yours has certainly been a good investment for you. I hope that mine will find yours a good role model. It's new, just broke in and still surprising me pleasantly, most of the time, with what it can teach me.
    pcp4me

What's your favorite springer? Empty Dave's Favorite

Post by pcp4me Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:07 pm

Crosman Titan GP - $100 shipped from Airgunsdaily.com.
    Leapers 4 X 32 AO "Bugbuster" Illuminated Reticule
    Unknown generic1" High Rings
    Dead Nuts accurate at ALL ranges from a rest
    Shooter - lethal on all game <15yards and lethal on all with a crutch (shooting sticks, etc.) out to 45 yards. Don't take shots longer than
    that unless I can shoot it from a solid prone hold!

Titan GP - $100 with shipping from Airgunsdaily.com!
    Leapers 4 X 32 "Bug Buster" R/G Illuminated reticule.
    Unknow generic high mounts.
    Gun - Dead nuts accurate out to 60 yards from a good rest.
    Shooter - dead nuts accurate on all game <15yards, if have a prop such as shooting sticks, etc. good out to 50 yards. Do not take longer shots, unless I am absolutelysure I can get a steady enough hold to absolutely make a head shot,
    Gun has an after market gold trigger from that "fishy" guy. Makes ALL the difference!

Last edited by Squirrel on Wed Jun 08, 2011 5:49 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Edited by Admin for excesive space)
    Abda
    Abda
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Abda Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:10 pm

ralphy101again wrote:I own a good many airguns , higher end , more powerful but my : go-to backyard favorite is my hw30 with hawke 2x7 airmax . Accurate and light , powerful enough for small pests to 30 yds.
    List them for me and I'll make a signature in a table for you if you wish, at the bottom of each of your posts. I always like to see what others have and it gives me a clue if I can ask a hands on question about a particular type if I know that person has one. I'm sure that others operate something like this as well. I don't list mine under my admin name because I'm afraid that people would think it would be tachy for admin to do that. But, in my member name Squirrel, and the one I SHOULD be posting under, I DO have mine listed.

Looks like I'm the only one using higher powers for back yard stuff. But, hey, I'm blind in one eye and can't hardly see out of the other so I guess most people, if not actually pulling the trigger, would WANT me to be able to see with a lot more power!
    josh3rd

Post by josh3rd Sun Mar 01, 2015 6:47 pm

I have an RX2 .20cal, a .22cal HW95 and a C9A .20cal Blue Streak.  I love my RX...to death but is heavy as all hell. But w/beeman FTS she is amazing.  Can hit 20oz water bottles at 120yds, never shot at animals at that far though.  the hw is practically brand new and is still breaking in.  no glass on her as of yet, hell can't afford it is why, lol.  but she is easy to handle.  still looking for the right pellet.  the pumper??? well accurate...yes w/just the williams peep. and the adjustability is nice to have, in power that is.   but i get tired/bored of pumping.  

but here is the kicker.  my first "adult" airgun was a crosman phantom.  and i am mad that she is gone.  not hold or pellet fussy and balls accurate. power? nothing to brag about but i hit what i aimed at.
    nyhunter
    nyhunter
    Admin
    Admin

Post by nyhunter Sun Mar 01, 2015 7:04 pm

to date, it would be my walther lgv in .22 caliber.....just a sweet shooter!!!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:49 am