www.airgunsinc.org

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
www.airgunsinc.org

Enjoy a not-out-of-the box free thinking forum dedicated to discussing or buying/selling your hunt, gear, favorite airgun, tactics in regard to Air Guns from the newbie to the very experienced even if you're doing nothing more than collecting!

Username:
Password:
Log me on automatically at each visit:
:: I forgot my password

Contribute to www.airgunsinc.org

Who is online?

In total there are 5 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 5 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

Most users ever online was 185 on Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:01 am

+4
Abda
Squirrel
longhunter
pcp4me
8 posters

Favorite PCP gun.

pcp4me
    Club Member of the Ranges

Favorite PCP gun. Empty Favorite PCP gun.

Post by pcp4me Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:07 am

When it comes to pcp guns I have only two. A .22 caliber Discovery with power mod and 3 screw trigger mod both done by me and a stock Sumatra .177 carbine. Arrow

Both have adjustable power, adjustable objective scopes mounted. Question

Both are my favorites. The Discovery has the advantage in weight, at under 7 # scoped and loaded and locked! The Sumatra 2500 R has the firepower advantage with six quick shots from it's revolving cylindrical magazine. sunny

As soon as possible want a Crosman Challenger 2009 three position 10 meter rifle and a P-rod pistol! queen
    longhunter
    Ranger
    Ranger

Favorite PCP gun. Empty Re: Favorite PCP gun.

Post by longhunter Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:37 pm

my favorite is my AAA Condor by Tony at Talon Tunes. that thing is an absolute jackhammer! i haven't seen too many guns that can come close to it at long range, 100-150 yds. proper shooting technique is a bit of a learning curve, to be sure, but i wouldn't trade it for any other gun i can think of. it still has around 29 fpe. at 200 yds., more than enough to anchor a groundhog with a well placed head shot ( the accuracy is well within those limits if i do my part ).
    pcp4me

Favorite PCP gun. Empty 200 yards?

Post by pcp4me Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:01 am

I have to admit I am a REAL skeptic when I see such claims. The drop alone at 200 yards has to be 100 inches or more. Wind drift is variable, so I would think you would have to resight your gun each shot.

I am from Missouri and it is not called "the show me state" without reason.

So until I SEE some one hit a ground hog at 200 yards first shot I do not believe it can be done. The variables are just too many.

I would bet you 98%+ of all air gunners could not even do it at 100 yards!! lol!
    Squirrel
    Squirrel
    Ranger Plus

Post by Squirrel Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:39 am

pcp4me wrote:I have to admit I am a REAL skeptic when I see such claims. The drop alone at 200 yards has to be 100 inches or more. Wind drift is variable, so I would think you would have to re-sight your gun each shot.

I am from Missouri and it is not called "the show me state" without reason.

So until I SEE some one hit a ground hog at 200 yards first shot I do not believe it can be done. The variables are just too many.

I would bet you 98%+ of all air gunners could not even do it at 100 yards!! lol!
    Hmmm, not sure what to say here but good shooting? Too, you have to take into account that just saying an AAA Condor by Tony at Talon Tunes doesn't really do the statement justice. Ask Neil what a hot .45 can do from Will Piatt. A good tune and in the right hands can do magic, brother!

Not going to say it can't be done: I've seen videos on the web about air gunners doing those kinds of ranges. Hit and miss though. But that's a LOT of FPE, you have to admit. Have you used a trajectory tool like Gun Chair Pro to do the math on what it takes to get that kind of FPE at that range? What the FPS would have to be? I you do, posting the numbers would help people from the "show me" state understand a little more about it.

But I'm one of those 98% that can 't make t that kind of shot. I've done 70 with a hot .22 and a hot .25 with semi light pellets and a lot of FPS. But I'm not accurate enough to claim it all the time. It's a luck shot mostly when I do. Besides, I don't get game to cooperate and give me a good shot without wind and/or sit still long enough for me to have to give up my bead and reacquire my target two or three times. I'm a mess at that kind of range, I tell you!

But at 25 and 35 yards? I'm a killa! Look out you garden thieving tree rats! Better not come 'round here 'cause I'll getcha for sure! Twisted Evil

Longhunter's been around for a while. I'm sure he's on the up and up on his shot claims. They don't call him by that name for nothing Exclamation

PCP4me, I'd thought you'd fell off the end of the earth! Glad to see you are still breathing!
    longhunter
    Ranger
    Ranger

Post by longhunter Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:52 am

never said i did, said it was possible if i did my part. second, with a 100yd. zero, drop at 200 yds. is 60" from line of sight. that means point of impact is 24" below my bottom post on my mildot scope, which equates to a 12" or 96 1/8th inch click elevation correction to bring p.o.i. level with the bottom post. i would not attempt such a shot in anything but near perfect conditions, little or no wind and an absolutely clear field of fire. oh, and by the way, i misquoted myself, the retained fpe. at 200yds. is 20 fpe. not 29. 29 fpe. is the retained energy at 150yds., sorry.
    on an aside, my shooting "range" is an old gravel pit on my son-in-law's property. our max range is around 160yds.. there is an old pile of wood chips at arange of 142yds., lasered, my grandson and i play a game of "chip shot", we line wood chips across the top of the pile and shoot 'till you miss. my best ,so far, is 17 in a row. my grandson is getting better, last time out, he nailed 7.
    Abda
    Abda
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Abda Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:30 am

See, told ya so! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy (rub, rub Razz )
    jaycee2010

Post by jaycee2010 Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:29 pm

Hey you guys go check out Youtube, there is a person on there shooting a 12fpe HW and hitting cans at 200 yards so for you none believers a video might show it can be done, and with a sub 12fpe air rifle too. I thought it impossible myself but I don't believe someone is going to go to all that trouble to fake it. Check it out and see for yourselves, JC
    pcp4me

Favorite PCP gun. Empty Well you know what they say? ALL things are "possible"

Post by pcp4me Wed Jun 29, 2011 6:24 pm

Longhunter,

A lot of things are "possible" but improbable. Yeah I once hit a crow with a .22 lr at a paced 500 yards. But the stupid crow let me take 19 shots at it before the last one connected! I just kept raising the cross hairs and firing, Even had to reload my 10 shot magazine once to do it. No wind that day so that was not some thing I had to deal with.

Does that qualify for a "good shot"? If I had connected with the crow on the very first shot, yes! But it took 19 shots so no!

So I stand by what I said before with a slight modification. I won't day it can't be done! Rather it is not probable that it is done or can be done on a repeated basis consistently.

That said, if I had a REALLY good rifle (which I can't afford) and a REALLY good scope (which I can't afford) and a really solid bench rest (which I might could afford but don't have} and had the gun sighted in at 200 yards I do believe I could hit most of 10 shots on a wind free day! sunny

So is it possible. Sure! But when do you have all the conditions out in the field that I mentioned above? Highly improbable. pirat

However, I do believe longhunter is a really good shot from what he says. And Longhunter, if I ever get enough money to get a really good airgun and scope I hope you would give me advice which are good for long range.
    Abda
    Abda
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Abda Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:42 pm

jaycee2010 wrote:Hey you guys go check out Youtube, there is a person on there shooting a 12fpe HW and hitting cans at 200 yards so for you none believers a video might show it can be done, and with a sub 12fpe air rifle too. I thought it impossible myself but I don't believe someone is going to go to all that trouble to fake it. Check it out and see for yourselves, JC
    But you didn't give us a link! I'm lost! Where is it? Help out an old one eyed man find his way? Crying or Very sad
    longhunter
    Ranger
    Ranger

Post by longhunter Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:33 am

most of my long range experience was gained at my father's tutoing. he was a sniper in WWII. we used our deer rifles in the summer for woodchucks, back in Pa.. i had a Ted Williams 30-06 with a Weaver Alaskan 4x scope. my longest kill was 740 yds. one shot. my father routinely took 8 and 900 yd. shots on chucks. one shot, one kill. know your gun, learn the variables, and practice, practice, practice. that was my father's way, and that is how i do it. i taught my daughter to shoot when she was old enough to hold a gun up by herself, when she joined the army, she out shot her instructor 40 for 40, every time.i don't just talk the talk, i can walk the walk.
    jaycee2010

Post by jaycee2010 Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:25 pm

Sorry Abda it was something I had seen and just thought I would mention it as I never in my wildest dreams thought you could hit the side of a barn at 200 metres with a sub 12fpe air rifle. It takes the guy a couple of shots but he hits them, and more than once. So I would assume with a 35fpe air rifle or higher you should be able to make 100 yard shots on a regular basis. Here is the link, not impressed, then try making a shot that long with a sub 12fpe air rifle. As a Brit I know how hard that is as that is all we can use over there without a fire arms certificate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMCiMk6w_wU&feature=related

All the best, JC
    Squirrel
    Squirrel
    Ranger Plus

Post by Squirrel Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:37 pm

jaycee2010 wrote:Sorry Abda it was something I had seen and just thought I would mention it as I never in my wildest dreams thought you could hit the side of a barn at 200 metres with a sub 12fpe air rifle. It takes the guy a couple of shots but he hits them, and more than once. So I would assume with a 35fpe air rifle or higher you should be able to make 100 yard shots on a regular basis. Here is the link, not impressed, then try making a shot that long with a sub 12fpe air rifle. As a Brit I know how hard that is as that is all we can use over there without a fire arms certificate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMCiMk6w_wU&feature=related

All the best, JC
    I think that's good enough to post here!

Thanks, JC! Kewl, as the kids say Cool