www.airgunsinc.org

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
www.airgunsinc.org

Enjoy a not-out-of-the box free thinking forum dedicated to discussing or buying/selling your hunt, gear, favorite airgun, tactics in regard to Air Guns from the newbie to the very experienced even if you're doing nothing more than collecting!

Username:
Password:
Log me on automatically at each visit:
:: I forgot my password

Contribute to www.airgunsinc.org

Who is online?

In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 185 on Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:01 am

3 posters

Thumb loaders vs probe

DonC
    Entering the Ranges
    Entering the Ranges

Thumb loaders vs probe Empty Thumb loaders vs probe

Post by DonC Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:56 am

I sure like thumb loaders cause you can feel the fit inot breach.
    My Career 707 cycles CP .22 without any problems. My BSA Super 10 has a rotary magazine and only cycle correctly after alot of fartin around to get it to function correctly. I also have a Daystate CR94 probe and it shoots fine but you can't feel a pee-wee pellet and I get flyers.
    What's you opinion?
    Squirrel
    Squirrel
    Ranger Plus

Thumb loaders vs probe Empty Educate me

Post by Squirrel Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:59 am

DonC wrote:I sure like thumb loaders because you can feel the fit into the breach.
    My Career 707 cycles CP .22 without any problems. My BSA Super 10 has a rotary magazine and only cycle correctly after a lot of farting around to get it to function correctly. I also have a Daystate CR94 probe and it shoots fine but you can't feel a pee-wee pellet and I get flyers.
    What's your opinion?
    Um, Boss, I'm lost. CP .22? Define please. What kind of Career 707? There are more than one or two and I've got a few myself: Might help to know which one so I can converse with you about it.

The only thumb loader I have, if I have it correctly, would be my Walther Falcon Hunter, with updated trigger and Nitro Piston upgrade from Pyramid Air. Unless you are talking about the type found in the The Daystate CR97 Air Rifle. I find it hard to load them, depending on the shape of the pellet. Little buggers find me trying to keep and eye out for the squirrel I just missed or need a follow up shot on while I try to load the next round. I'm getting better at it and am able to load them from my pocket way better than when I first started. Nevertheless, I prefer a good magazine.

Now, my Infinity had some issues: I had to help the thing cycle to the next chamber and even developed a method of doing it and feel for when it wasn't advancing using my thumb without losing the bead I had on my target but, half the time, I’d not get it right and end up just reseating an empty chamber. But Saddle Mountain Gun Smith corrected that for me. Evidently it was a known issue with the Career Infinity. You might want to check with him about it. But you'll have to hurry: Send him and email to his personal address so that you can get an answer before he takes off with church camp. He's a busy man and I hope he responds to you quickly should you decide to contact him. He's not big on emails but his services more than make up for that. Too, I don’t know about Rob Hawkins and [url= http://www.springguntunes.com/] Spring Gun Tunes[/url] and if this would be his field but it sure couldn’t hurt to ask him about it and even if this isn’t his area of expertise, I’m sure he know quite a bit more about than me or your average Air Gunner.

But from what I can tell about the The Daystate CR97 Air Rifle , I'm VERY envious!

But, in short, I guess my answer would be that you shouldn’t have to worry about the next round loading and if you do, it’s time to have it fixed so you don’t. And, that being said, with a dependable rifle and loading action, I’d prefer a repeater over single shot any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

However, there is something to be said about bolt loading air guns. They are among the most accurate from what I’ve learned, been told and read about.

Well, that’s my opinion: Anyone else?
    longhunter
    Ranger
    Ranger

Thumb loaders vs probe Empty Re: Thumb loaders vs probe

Post by longhunter Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:26 pm

i like a single-shot, thumb loader, myself. as was previously stated, you can feel the pellet seat and, with practice, become very consistent. ever watch a pellet being seated by a probe? they almost always start out cocked, maybe not much, but cocked nonethe less. that means that the pellet is grooved deeper on one side by the rifling, at the front, and consequently, the skirt is also slightly deformed because the probe does not fully conform to the shape of the skirt. that can't be good for accuracy. secondly, if you only have one shot, you tend to take more time to make sure of your sight picture before you pull the trigger. that leads to a more accurate shooter, one who in turn wounds less game, and in turn becomes a more successful hunter. just my two cents.

Sponsored content

Thumb loaders vs probe Empty Re: Thumb loaders vs probe

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 17, 2024 8:15 am