www.airgunsinc.org

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
www.airgunsinc.org

Enjoy a not-out-of-the box free thinking forum dedicated to discussing or buying/selling your hunt, gear, favorite airgun, tactics in regard to Air Guns from the newbie to the very experienced even if you're doing nothing more than collecting!

Username:
Password:
Log me on automatically at each visit:
:: I forgot my password

Contribute to www.airgunsinc.org

Who is online?

In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 185 on Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:01 am

3 posters

It's hot and humid and Thunder Boomers-Wow!

07condor22
    Ranger
    Ranger

It's hot and humid and Thunder Boomers-Wow! Empty It's hot and humid and Thunder Boomers-Wow!

Post by 07condor22 Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:39 am

Well, work is slow and the Humidity is high and the temperature is even higher, here at the border. Border of Virginia and North Carolina that is. Yesterday, had a monster of a thunder storm. Thunder was deafening, Lightning flashes were something out of movies. The rain roared down on the roof.

This has give me time to prepare my springer for rebuilding, disassembly and deburring and such as this hot and humid weather keeps me inside hugging my air conditioner!

The temperature has been in the triple digit heat index for days now and I'm spoiled by my air conditioner and need to get some behind my springer time? bounce

Sam cheers
    Abda
    Abda
    Admin
    Admin

It's hot and humid and Thunder Boomers-Wow! Empty Re: It's hot and humid and Thunder Boomers-Wow!

Post by Abda Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:10 pm

In deburing, you mean the end of the muzzle, right? Or throughout the barrel? What is your method?

Yea, it's hot as It's hot and humid and Thunder Boomers-Wow! Onfire . . . well, let's just say that, even for the deep South, it's been record breaking temperatures here. Drought is a threat and a reality here in Charleston, SC and what little bit of rain is hit and miss that we get regardless of threats from the heat lightening and thunderous bellows of "it might rain". AC is earning it's keep and doing overtime work. As a home owner, I can't wait to replace it and spend all that money on it that I could be spending on an air gun of some sort! Yaaa! Bills, bills, bills! And the promise of MORE bills! Keeps me running to my mail box (not!) to find what else I'll have to pay this month that some company inflated or got wrong . . .

So I'm glad I've got the site to administer inside and out of the heat, but like you, I'm falling behind on my Air Gun studies and duties. Part of that is just the "round to it" attitude and the other is procrastination about what should I do today that I can put off until tomorrow?

If you get the chance, Condor, take a look at the thread about some help with a logo . . got any friends handy with that sort of thing or friend of a friend that might be able to swing a look see at my request? I spent a long time yesterday trying to do something art wise before I just up and crumpled it all to the recycling bin.

Let us know your results and how you do the work---and the results of the work as a before and after thing. I'd be interested and am always out to learn something new!
    StubExt
    StubExt
    Field Ranger
    Field Ranger

It's hot and humid and Thunder Boomers-Wow! Empty Re: It's hot and humid and Thunder Boomers-Wow!

Post by StubExt Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:39 am

Well here in St. Louis (The armpit of the midwest) the humidity is finally starting to burn off in the extreme heat. It may drop below 60% during the peak heat today! cherry
    07condor22
    Ranger
    Ranger

It's hot and humid and Thunder Boomers-Wow! Empty In deburing, you mean the end of the muzzle, right? Or throughout the barrel? What is your method?

Post by 07condor22 Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:24 pm

Ah, deburring - I used a swiss file to remove the sharp edges on the tube, before installing the piston/apex seal. The end of the tube has sharp edges where the trigger mechanism fits and also where the cocking lever goes through the tube into piston, alot of force is applied during cocking.

Woo Hoo, there was a small bag in my mail box today with Jim Maccari's return address. It seemed to be to small for the spring I ordered. The old spring was in three pieces and I though it was twice as long. So I decided to reassemble my RWS 34 today. The biggest thing I noticed of the disassembled rifle was the big rusted hand print on the piston. The piston had absolutely no lube from the factory??????????. It was a light brown color without pits or flakes, akin to thin brown paint onto the bare metal piston. Abit of elbow grease and a scotch brite pad had it looking like new money.

The NEW apex seal looked just like the stock RWS seal. Couldn't figure out how to remove the old one and sure won't prizing it off with a screw driver? Solution-CAREFULLY cut it off with my pocket knife. Next puzzle was the hole in the new seal was smaller than the retainer on the piston. After 3 tries of forcing it on I gave up. My fingers simply won't strong enough to force it onto the piston. So I laid the piston seal onto the table-that's the trick! Make sure the face of the seal is against the table and with piston in hand-press the piston down into the seal! Now rotate the seal on the piston to make sure it is centered and not binding? Apply some moly paste behind the Apex seal and avoid getting moly onto the seal.

This is where deburring the tube comes into play, push the piston very carefully into the tube and the seal won't get nicked on the sharp edges, should not be any sharp edges to cut the seal. At this time I installed the barrel and cocking lever, checking for free movement of all the installed parts. I used a plastic butter knife to apply the tar to the spring! Leaving the first and last couple of inches clean of tar.

Make sure you've ate your Wheaties before attempting to install the spring without a spring compressor. I used about 1 inch of railroad tract to press the trigger block into the tube onto the spring. You compress the spring about 3 inches, but that last half inch is tough to do by yourself. Went pretty smoove, the 2 pins slipped in, but the safety would not! Duh, I installed the trigger 3 times? Had to move a lever back to the correct place and finally the safety installed correctly.

I now carefully cocked the rifle, checked the safety, and bumped it against the carpeted for a few times trying to make the safety fail. It didn't!

I installed the stock an dug up about 30 heavy crosman premier paper box pellets and mounted my worthless crosman 3-9x32 mildot scope and proceeded to zero. Set a milk jug out 10 meters and fired, missed. After about 10 shots was on target and then set it out to thirty yards. I could keep the pellets on the top of the jug- 2inch bulls eye. Sweat was blinding me now and I gave up, had to take a shower, 105 degree heat index was toooo much!

New scope soon and some bench time for a proper zero-I'll be back, when? When the weather cools down Rolling Eyes

Sam cheers

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 4:24 am