www.airgunsinc.org

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
www.airgunsinc.org

Enjoy a not-out-of-the box free thinking forum dedicated to discussing or buying/selling your hunt, gear, favorite airgun, tactics in regard to Air Guns from the newbie to the very experienced even if you're doing nothing more than collecting!

Username:
Password:
Log me on automatically at each visit:
:: I forgot my password

Contribute to www.airgunsinc.org

Who is online?

In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 185 on Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:01 am

3 posters

How it works

Abda
    Abda
    Admin
    Admin

How it works Empty How it works

Post by Abda Sun Jul 17, 2011 10:45 am

How it works:

[/center]

The air compressor has two pistons. They are very small by air compressor standards. The upper cylinder is 1/4 inch, the lower 1/8th inch in diameter. The small pistons allow us to use a small 1/3 hp, 110 volt, ac motor to achieve high pressure, but limits the speed at which you can fill a tank.

The ShoeBox Air Compressor is driven by a chain drive reduction system. A lever mechanism senses the pressure in the pistons and shuts off the compressor when the tank is full. The cutoff pressure is adjustable with spring tension. Most parts are user serviceable.

For a videos of the ShoeBox Air Compressor in action see our YouTube Channel or the other posts labled "video" in this same forum under the other topics listed here.

The above was taken directly from the Shoebox Site. But what I personally want those of you that don't yet get the perfection meeting simplicity here, is that compared to what is on the market, this is really something that is within the reach of the common guy like myself and others like me.

Now, for a comparison, and, really, if I could afford it, I'd like to direct your attention to the following:

Now, yea, that's a nice one and I'd like to have it. The Tim Taylor (played by the comedian Tim Allen)The Tool Man from "Home Improvement" as being someone without lady parts demands that I have bigger, more, power, power, power, Argh! It's in my make up as part of the "guy thing" club. But, dog gone! That thing costs $2,375! That's almost 2 grand more than the Shoebox! And could you see me trying to lug that thing from my place to a remote shooting location? I couldn't do it. Yea, we all tend to use a filling station made from carbon fiber tanks and scuba tanks the like most of the time but sometimes I just like to be able to move mine where I need it at the time. Right now, I've got my Shoebox set up in my house in my Den. My first stage compressor is conveniently tucked away behind an end table with a hose going from it about the back of the couch to the Shoebox at my filling station in my "man cave" aka the den and quite frankly, I'm pretty sure that I couldn't have the fancy one in my home like that.

Plus, I can work on the Shoebox. I'd hate to have to work on the grander model.

Now, don't get me wrong: Like I said, I'd like to have the big fancy compressor shown here. Really, I would. But, odds are that I'd have to win lottery to be able to swing one for my needs. And, even then, I'd still own a ShoeBox compressor anyway and, if I had the fancy one already, I'd of still bought the ShoeBox.

So, when you look at that graph above, do realize what the simplicity statement it makes. Doe realize that it's not only that it is simply made with complete efficiency, but that for the small foot print it leaves on your bench as well as your pocket, you just can't beat it!

Last edited by Abda on Thu Aug 18, 2011 5:59 am; edited 10 times in total (Reason for editing : Broken Link Fixed)
    StubExt
    StubExt
    Field Ranger
    Field Ranger

How it works Empty Re: How it works

Post by StubExt Sun Jul 17, 2011 1:57 pm

Very interesting and I plan on watching all of the videos. If I wasn't surrounded by free air at the moment I would consider a compressor. Do you think there will be a larger model available in the future as well - maybe in the $800 price range too that would be faster, etc.? Still under $1000 but it would give the buyer a choice depending on their available means. Maybe fill a 4500 psi 44 Cu ft tank in an hour or hour and a half from 3000-4500?
    Tom Kaye
    Tom Kaye
    ShoeBox Designer
    ShoeBox Designer

Post by Tom Kaye Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:03 pm

Sorry but a compressor twice as fast would be more than twice as expensive. Your cheaper buying two ShoeBoxes as some customers have done.

Tom
    StubExt
    StubExt
    Field Ranger
    Field Ranger

Post by StubExt Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:18 pm

Thanks Tom. The guy I got my SCBA tanks from did that and posted on your site. twohsieh
    Abda
    Abda
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Abda Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:27 pm

TomKaye wrote:Sorry but a compressor twice as fast would be more than twice as expensive. Your cheaper buying two ShoeBoxes as some customers have done.

Tom
    In cascade? Now there's a thought!
    StubExt
    StubExt
    Field Ranger
    Field Ranger

Post by StubExt Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:00 pm

This post accidentally deleted and irretrievable.

Please pardon this fumble by admin.

If anyone cares to refresh us on what was here, we can try to duplicate it. Until then . . .

Carry on.
    Abda
    Abda
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Abda Thu Jul 21, 2011 2:45 am

Hey, Stub? That would be in tandem, in the pic, right? Not cascaded scratch

Just trying to get my terminology correct . . . I get confus-ed at times.
    StubExt
    StubExt
    Field Ranger
    Field Ranger

Post by StubExt Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:25 am

I would say those two pumps are in parallel doubling the capacity.
    http://www.mcnallyinstitute.com/15-html/15-01.htm
    Abda
    Abda
    Admin
    Admin

How it works Empty one compressor for two shoeboxes?

Post by Abda Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:02 am

StubExt wrote:I would say those two pumps are in parallel doubling the capacity.
    http://www.mcnallyinstitute.com/15-html/15-01.htm
    Bit techy for me but I get the gist of it. Most of it is $2.00 words for my 50 cent vocabulary and I don't have change! Very Happy

But too, I wonder, I have a 6 gallon 150 PSI pancake compressor: I can't remember what the sustained pressure is but it only runs for about 5 minutes before it turns off as the ShoeBox cycles the air in the tank.

So, what I'm wondering is if that one compressor would feed two ShoeBoxes. I see that in the set up picture he actually has two first stage compressors and he certainly knows what he is doing, I suspect.

But, still, I'm curious if one would do the trick?

I'm depending on inside responses here, fellows, we were graced with Tom's appearance but, let's face it, he's way to busy for us to hope for a pop in like that all the time. But, we could get lucky, eh?

Anybody have an idea about this? I may put the question to the Shoebox forum and report back here if I get a response. It may have already been asked and answered.
    StubExt
    StubExt
    Field Ranger
    Field Ranger

Post by StubExt Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:07 am

As long as your compressor can supply double the intake requirement of the Shoebox I don't see why not.
    The Shoebox wants as a minimum.
    Minimum 85 psi output

2 cubic feet per minute

So you need at lease 4 cfm but probably a few more would be better.
    StubExt
    StubExt
    Field Ranger
    Field Ranger

Post by StubExt Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:19 am

Looks like your HF compressor doesn't have enough oomph.

6 gallon compressor has a pancake style tank for maximum stability

Designed to start easily in cold weather

Air delivery: 2.5 SCFM @ 90 PSI, 3.4 SFCM @ 40 PSI
    Abda
    Abda
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Abda Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:12 pm

StubExt wrote:Looks like your HF compressor doesn't have enough oomph.

6 gallon compressor has a pancake style tank for maximum stability

Designed to start easily in cold weather

Air delivery: 2.5 SCFM @ 90 PSI, 3.4 SCFM @ 40 PSI
    You're quick, ain't cha? That was good. I no sooner than got back from posting that question on the Shoebox Forum, had to look at the compressor to get the info and came back here to see that not only did you answer the question but that you'd figured out the out put of the one I have.

Nice, Stub. What took you so long? Very Happy
    Abda
    Abda
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Abda Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:07 pm

I had forgotten to add here that Tom K did say mine would work but that it would run a lot.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 12, 2024 3:56 pm