www.airgunsinc.org

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
www.airgunsinc.org

Enjoy a not-out-of-the box free thinking forum dedicated to discussing or buying/selling your hunt, gear, favorite airgun, tactics in regard to Air Guns from the newbie to the very experienced even if you're doing nothing more than collecting!

Username:
Password:
Log me on automatically at each visit:
:: I forgot my password

Contribute to www.airgunsinc.org

Who is online?

In total there are 7 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 7 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 185 on Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:01 am

+2
pcp4me
donwalk
6 posters

high powered variable scopes

donwalk
    Club Member of the Ranges

high powered variable scopes Empty high powered variable scopes

Post by donwalk Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:21 pm

i. like most other airgunners, have a number of 'variable power' rifle scopes. mostly in the 3-9 power range.

I'm finding, over a period of years, that i am actually getting to where i prefer a FIXED power scope for most practical applications; or, even iron sights. (I now, normally, set the scope to the lowest power and leave it there on most air rifles)

it's my experience that the variable power scopes, unless you move into the high dollar ones, require more acute adjustments and normally don't give as good of a sight picture/clarity/quality as do the fixed power scopes IN THE SAME PRICE RANGE.

i DO have high dollar variable scopes i would not part with but they're on my centerfire, intermediate/long range, BA varmint/target rifles and, oddly enough, on some rimfire rifles.

I'm considering getting a fixed 6, or 10, power for serious airgun hunting WHEN I'm not using iron sights. affraid

my main train of thought about this is: airgun hunting is like bowhunting...CLOSE IN. the fewer, moving , adjustable parts involved, the better. it's very disconcerting to have to "fool with" making scope adjustments when you're within 35-40 yards of the intended target...at least that's been my experience.

why not have a fixed power scope that all you need do is adjust the reticle clarity to your visual acuity and go for it? it sure saves on time and movement when stalking... Suspect

in the final analysis, it's been my experience, that a scope, any scope, simply allows the shooter to SEE the target better, it does NOT insure a hit...it's up to the SHOOTER to "Make the hit".

now...all that being said...has anyone get any experience with the Leapers fixed 10x50 scope? Rolling Eyes
    pcp4me

high powered variable scopes Empty Re: high powered variable scopes

Post by pcp4me Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:56 am

Well, I use variable scopes on most all my airguns. Reason being at longer ranges I can crank em up to see my quarry. Carry em set on 4X and if shot allows and requires I crank up to what ever power is best. Most scopes are 3 X 9 or 4 X 12 - 16X.

Don't see ANY reason at all for higher powers than than in the hunting field! Not on a rim fire with it's limited range.
    Squirrel
    Squirrel
    Ranger Plus

Post by Squirrel Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:20 am

pcp4me wrote:Well, I use variable scopes on most all my airguns. Reason being at longer ranges I can crank em up to see my quarry. Carry em set on 4X and if shot allows and requires I crank up to what ever power is best. Most scopes are 3 X 9 or 4 X 12 - 16X.

Don't see ANY reason at all for higher powers than than in the hunting field! Not on a rim fire with it's limited range.
    Yea, but we don't use rimfire anything here. It's all air guns or archery. But point is well made nonetheless.

Some of these Air Rifles can produce close to rimfire, well, not really, but the concept is the same, I think.

One thing's for sure, they aren't toys!

Good case in point though, I walked outside this morning and boom, there they were, diggin up our flowerbeds. I grabed my Infinity and took my shot. But have you ever aimed at a squirrel at better than 30 yards without a scope? Or tried to use 3x power to do the same? Uh, uh, *I* can't do it. I need something that will reach out there and touch something like my Hawke Sidwinder. I got a bead on him and I SWEAR I hit him, but I can't find him now!

Even turned the dogs lose, they know what they are looking for. He's not on the ground anywhere near here, I can promise you that. The leaves have all come back and they can litterally melt into the trees now. Ugh! Mad
    StubExt
    StubExt
    Field Ranger
    Field Ranger

Post by StubExt Tue Jul 05, 2011 4:43 pm

I have all Hawke variable high -mag scopes on my PCP airguns and fell in love with the etched glass 1/2 mil dot 20x reticles on the Hawke Sidewinder Tacticals. I have two 6.5-20x42s on my AF guns. They are normally set at 14x and I normally shoot from a rest. My Marauder has a Hawke Varmint SF 6-24 which has a wired 10x 1/2 mil dot reticle which is good but nothing liked the etched glass on the Tacticals. I also own a bunch of high end scopes including a Nightforce NSX which is part of the reasonI like the etched glass floating reticles so much. They are heavy but so is the Nightforce.
    Of course the Hawke Chairgun Pro and Hawke BRC software is great too.
    07condor22
    Ranger
    Ranger

Post by 07condor22 Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:54 am

I use a 2-6x20, 3-12x44 and a fixed 10x42. Don't see the need for high power scopes for hunting in my neck of the woods. Higher power mean more shake factor to deal with in off hand shooting. Bench shooting-the higher mag = Tighter groups.

Weight plays a part also, my EDC is good @ 10x or max 12x and if I can't see the target with my 10x binoculars, it way tooooooooo small for me to shoot.

I used my SWFA SS10x42 on my condor .22 with good success. Killed Crow @ 100m, measured by parallax ring, several ground hogs and too many starlings to remember. Deadly combo that I'd put up against any vari power scope for off hand hunting.

Sam Laughing
    StubExt
    StubExt
    Field Ranger
    Field Ranger

Post by StubExt Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:46 pm

Why you want a Hawke Tactical 20x 1/2 mil dot etched glass reticle on an airgun. An airgun reviewer for AOA named Ted is doing a writeup on the magic of this reticle (only available on the higher mag Hawke Sidewinder Tactical scopes)

high powered variable scopes Animation1
    07condor22
    Ranger
    Ranger

Post by 07condor22 Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:32 am

StubExt wrote:Why you want a Hawke Tactical 20x 1/2 mil dot etched glass reticle on an airgun. An airgun reviewer for AOA named Ted is doing a writeup on the magic of this reticle (only available on the higher mag Hawke Sidewinder Tactical scopes)

high powered variable scopes Animation1

Can you post a link to this, Sounds like good info?

Sam drunken
    Abda
    Abda
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Abda Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:11 am

Yes. . . .

Please do.

I'm interested as well.
    StubExt
    StubExt
    Field Ranger
    Field Ranger

Post by StubExt Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:26 am

You probably want to subscribe to Ted's Holdover Youtube Channel on airguns. He has a load of great videos.

https://www.youtube.com/user/EdgunUSA
    Abda
    Abda
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Abda Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:43 am

StubExt wrote:You probably want to subscribe to Ted's Holdover Youtube Channel on airguns. He has a load of great videos.

https://www.youtube.com/user/EdgunUSA

I checked out the site and I'm happy to have gone there.

On the first page is the following.