www.airgunsinc.org

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
www.airgunsinc.org

Enjoy a not-out-of-the box free thinking forum dedicated to discussing or buying/selling your hunt, gear, favorite airgun, tactics in regard to Air Guns from the newbie to the very experienced even if you're doing nothing more than collecting!

Username:
Password:
Log me on automatically at each visit:
:: I forgot my password

Contribute to www.airgunsinc.org

Who is online?

In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

Most users ever online was 185 on Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:01 am

3 posters

My best 260 yard group to date

roachcreek
    Field Ranger
    Field Ranger

My best 260 yard group to date Empty My best 260 yard group to date

Post by roachcreek Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:24 pm

I have been shooting my 25 LBT at 260 yards on a metal clad target. The painted target allows me to see the hits at the shooting point and paint over them for the next group. I have a 12 inch serving plate metal disk suspended by bungie cords so I can hear a different metalic noise when when the bulleye is hit. At 260 yards the bullets pass thru both metal plates and thru the 1/2 "plywood backing.

My best 260 yard group to date DSC06678

The bullets 57 grain LBT cast bullets from a 17 inch barreled Talon with no choke and valve and fire control parts from a Airarcher arrow conversion give me around 120 FPE for 4 shots before needing to refill. I am using a Burris 2x7 Fullfield scope which altho lacking in power after shimming allows me to dial into the target at 260 yards.

At 260 yards the rifle still has more FPE than a 25 acp does at the muzzle.

Sunday afternoon after the fog lifted and the winds died down I shot these 5 shots into 4.5 inches from the prone postition while tethered to a 3000 PSI scba bottle.

My best 260 yard group to date DSC06768

The shooting position from the house deck.My best 260 yard group to date DSC06769

The range, the target can be seen as a small white dot over the roof of the sheep shed.

My best 260 yard group to date DSC06770
    Abda
    Abda
    Admin
    Admin

My best 260 yard group to date Empty Re: My best 260 yard group to date

Post by Abda Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:00 pm

My gosh, Roach! I enlarged the picture and just BARELY found that target!

I don't know to be more impressed with the distance or the fact that it's such a low power scope, Brother. Out Air Gun Standing, Roach. Nyhunter is asking about doiing a competition of sorts at this link: HERE

I think his idea just dandy, really. Personally, I'd like to get in on that.

But I can't compete with that type of distance at ALL. All I can do it about yards.

Well, got more admin stuff to do. Just thought I'd pop in for a short and have a say.

Definitely a thumbs up on that kind of shooting, Roach. Exclamation
    nyhunter
    nyhunter
    Admin
    Admin

Post by nyhunter Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:47 pm

maybe we shouldnt let roach in on the competition!!!lol! just kidding, but it already looks like he's gonna be the man to beat!!! awesome shooting rc! Laughing
    roachcreek
    Field Ranger
    Field Ranger

Post by roachcreek Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:55 pm

No big deal guys, even a blind squirrel gets a nut now and then.

The low power scope just reinforces what I say about not needing high power scopes. I feel air guners put way too much glass on their rifles. I went down to check my target after shooting today, and I took my Royale with the VXIII 4.5x14 on it. I got into some Starlings in the trees, I had it on 14 power for checking my 260 yard target and had to dial down to 8 power to get on them.

I bought that 2x7 Burris for my Ranger 45 because the elk I hunt above my old house in eastern Oregon, travel paths thru the mountain mahogney that I cut about 20 years ago and the shots are 75 yards and closer. It used to be a very rewarding hunting area for my various Sharps rifles I hunted with.

But the point is I own no scope larger than 15 power and would be better served if they were all 10 or 12 power maximun. I have a Leupold VXII 3x9 on the Ranger 45 with a LR reticle to replace the 2x7, but it might go back on as I play musical scopes.

Squirrel, I got that wheel on the Luepold VXIII 4.5x14 long range.

My best 260 yard group to date DSC06755

Haivng said that I am going to put that VXIII scope on the 25 LBT so I can take advantage of the cast 57 bullets flat flight path compared to Kings, and the Hollands MOA retilce.

My best 260 yard group to date DSC06566

Regards,

Roachreek

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:54 am