www.airgunsinc.org

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
www.airgunsinc.org

Enjoy a not-out-of-the box free thinking forum dedicated to discussing or buying/selling your hunt, gear, favorite airgun, tactics in regard to Air Guns from the newbie to the very experienced even if you're doing nothing more than collecting!

Username:
Password:
Log me on automatically at each visit:
:: I forgot my password

Contribute to www.airgunsinc.org

Who is online?

In total there are 4 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 4 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

Most users ever online was 185 on Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:01 am

3 posters

Air Rifle Bench Rest World Championship USA!

Squirrel
    Squirrel
    Ranger Plus

Air Rifle Bench Rest World Championship USA! Empty Air Rifle Bench Rest World Championship USA!

Post by Squirrel Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:10 pm

(disregard the dates on the camera: I've never reset it since the batteries died one day)

Check out the number of national flags in the stand there! They were from ALL over!

I'm still trying to get over the fact that I got to go and meet a lot of great people!

Africa, Italy, Germany, Australia, and on, and on, and on!

More to come!

Air Rifle Bench Rest World Championship USA

I made the below really big so you can read the banner just above the meet name and title actualy ON the bench.Air Rifle Bench Rest World Championship USA
    Squirrel
    Squirrel
    Ranger Plus

Air Rifle Bench Rest World Championship USA! Empty Score Results for Air Rifle Bench Rest World Championship 2011

Post by Squirrel Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:59 am

Bench Rest Central has a lot more pictures, and, quite frankly, a lot better than the ones *I* took. You might want to go there to see what some one that wasn't like a doe caught in the head lights of a car in mere awe of being there and around these guys and what they can do. If you'll notice, I even got the dates wrong on my camera. That's okay though, I'll make up for that by giving some links in the pictures---click on them for a look see!

I got the call a little before mid morning Sunday. I was supposed to meet with Will sometime the weekend or Friday but, honestly, had forgotten all about it. I was looking forward to a day staying in my pajama's (what we'll say I wear around the house) as long as I possibly could growing roots from my couch potato bum recouping from and overly active day on Saturday herding my motley crew doing much needed yard work here.

(Ring!) "hellllo" (gotta draw that out, you know, I *am* born and raised in the South!)

"Will?"

"Yea,???"

"This is Will!"

(!!!!)

"Oh, crap! I had forgotten all about you coming, Will!" Are you at the shoot?"

Well, from there on it turned out that he'd roped me into coming to the shoot after reading off some directions. It was only about 25 minutes and less as the crow flies from my place over in North Charleston, SC.

I got my out of doors hat, grabbed my cane, loaded up my wheelchair and ALMOST turned right around to go back in and call Will with some excuse that translated meant that it was just to dad burn hot!

But, I'm glad I didn't. I'm skittish around new folks and it's good for me to get out now and then. Boy am I ever glad that I did!

I got there and met up with Will Piatt and his wife Ginger. GREAT people! Wish I could transplant them here. I was really mad at myself for not pushing my wife a little harder to come with me but, she was right, she had errands to run and what not. So, my hard working wife was not a bull's eye for my alternative agenda for yet another day.

When I pulled into the place . . . sort of hard to find even if you are from here (and why I put a link in with one of the pics to it) the temp was, according to my spot on report in my rear view mirror (gotta love these whistles and bells in these new cars and trucks!) was exactly 102%. This is an accurate report. This is not a heat index. This is the actual temperature it was when I GOT there and it only got hotter later on since this was just after mid morning!

Humidity was about 80 percent and got worse when it rained a little bit. These are dedicated people, people, and I honestly was impressed just by this dedication if nothing else to withstand this type of punishment to enjoy such an event. I'm *from* here and we don't endure this type of weather well either!

Right away I started sweating bullets. Part of it was that I'd never actually met Will Piatt before with only the net as our previous medium and communications that struck up our original friendship and business dealings. But I got over that PDQ as I got lost in the awe of where I actually was at the moment. I felt like this little kid that mom wouldn't let go of his hand so he could run and explore the fair grounds at Fair time to see all the sights and sounds. There was even the smell of hot dogs and fast foods and event type cooking in the air! Been a while since I was at a carnival but that's the best way to describe the smell mixed in with gun oils, rolling heat and sweat.

After some ice breaking chit chat, Will took me up to the "red line" and rattled off a good bit of what I needed to know right off. Then, later, he had to do his thing and left me to wonder about the place taking a few pictures here and there. I've more of what I show here but they aren't near as good as some of the others like on the site I've referenced. I took shots of things like the back of a guy's shirt because I just couldn't get over the the Czechs were there, the Germans were there, and the list goes on, and on.

I wondered until you could have stuck a fork in me 'cause I was "dun, son"! I rolled back to where I'd started for a break in the shade. Then took off again.

That's when Ginger, Will's wife found me and took me around for a little introductions. I know I must have seemed star struck. I just couldn't get my mouth to work right or rattle off my air gun list when we were talking about them. What a nervous ninny I was!

I talked with Tod Banks and Dan Brown and was amazed to hear that Dan had shot a perfect 250 the day before and truly amazed to hear him say that he'd been into air guns for only a year or so! (There is hope for your's truly if this is really so!)

Tod Banks and I had started a conversation that led to an air gun he's got and I'm really sorry I didn't get more info on it now since I've been bitten by the air gun bug even harder and need to get something that I can suitable to shoot in competition. Anything in my list in my signature, as you can see, isn't anything that I could take to a match that I know of. If anyone out there has contact info for him or Tod Banks himself reads this, I'd sure appreciate a line on how to shoot him a line! Was a nice gun from what we talked about and my even be within my price range----depends.

Well, anyway, I've posted the results of the scores and a few pics.

The first pic I've listed here was on Sunday before the results were in. Ginger, Will Piatt's wife had taken me around and these are some of the pics I took on that safari.I'll get the names of all those shown later and edit this post to list them.

• L-(standing) Tim McMurry, seated Doug Miller, R-(standing) James Burciaga

Click here to see Mac1 Airguns where you might know these guys from . . .

• Pic 2 L- Dan Brown, C- Rick Ingraham, R- Todd Banks

Just hang'n and take'n a break from the heat!

• pic 3: Rick Ingraham, Todd Banks, R- Standing ????

Where it was held . . .

Bench Rest Central

Last edited by Squirrel on Sat Aug 13, 2011 10:33 am; edited 1 time in total
    ORairgunner
    ORairgunner
    Admin
    Admin

Air Rifle Bench Rest World Championship USA! Empty Re: Air Rifle Bench Rest World Championship USA!

Post by ORairgunner Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:56 pm

Great post Will, almost like being there.
    Tom
    Abda
    Abda
    Admin
    Admin

Air Rifle Bench Rest World Championship USA! Empty Re: Air Rifle Bench Rest World Championship USA!

Post by Abda Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:58 pm

Thanks. I really enjoyed it.

Took me four hours to make the post and then go back and fix my mistakes. Some days you got it, some days you don't.

But, Tom, I tell you: It was HOT out there!

I should have went back when I could later that day.

I'll always regret not doing so. I'll get another chance, I just know I will!
    Squirrel
    Squirrel
    Ranger Plus

Air Rifle Bench Rest World Championship USA! Empty Local News for World Championship Bench Rest Shoot 2011

Post by Squirrel Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:56 am

Accuracy's a blast for elite shooters: Target rifle championship draws more than 130 to local gun club

By Bo Petersen

bpetersen@postandcourier.com
    Tuesday, August 2, 2011

SUMMERVILLE -- The precision is astounding. The target is the size of a quarter, nearly half a football field away. The perfect score-ring isn't any bigger than a capital "O."

The firearm might surprise you -- an air rifle. Yep, a high-tech cousin of a BB gun. The world championship for the shooting event is now under way this week, drawing more than 130 competitors from countries as far away as Australia. They're sighting in their scopes just outside Summerville.

The second World Rimfire & Air Rifle Benchrest Federation Championships sounds like a hoot, but this is serious competition.

Photo Gallery

World Rimfire and Air Rifle Benchrest Federation

Air Rifle Bench Rest World Championship USA! Rimfire_Competition_-_02_t180

The 2nd World Championships of the World Rimfire and Air Rifle Benchrest Federation took place at the Palmetto Gun Club Monday afternoon. Ten countries are represented in the competitions that takes place from July 28 through August 8 and it is the largest international tournament in the world. It is being held at the Palmetto Gun Club because it is the largest range on the east coast that could handle the tournament size.

Video

World Rimfire and Air Rifle Benchrest Federation

Air Rifle Bench Rest World Championship USA! Thumbnail_t180

The 2nd World Championships of the World Rimfire and Air Rifle Benchrest Federation took place at the Palmetto Gun Club. Ten countries are represented in the competitions that takes place from July 28 through August 8 and is the largest international tournament in the world.

The Australian team brought along the maximum 15 shooters. They flew 36 hours in six different planes to get to the Palmetto Gun Club in rural Dorchester County. They paid to get in the tournament, each of them investing a few thousand dollars for a rifle and likely a few thousand more in ammunition by the time he or she climbs aboard the plane to go home.

Oh, and they had to be in the top 5 or 10 percent of the shooters in their country just to qualify. It's so demanding that nobody from South Carolina did, despite any number of shooters at clubs around the state.

The prize? A big trophy that looks like a bullet or an air rifle pellet.

"For benchrest (shooting) this is a pinnacle for us," said Bill Collaros, the Australian team captain and president of the federation. This is shooting so precise that its organizers are pushing to compete in the worldwide Commonwealth Games with an eye toward eventually being accepted as an Olympic sport.

"It's an honor just to get to shoot in it. I'd love to (be able) to shoot in it," said Malcolm Drennon, of the gun club. Drennon missed that top 10 percent by two or three shooters. But he's out there this week, helping run the event for the club.

The private club was chosen for the second championship of the event because it's one of the largest in the country and easily the largest on the East Coast. Its secluded location back in the pines and the caliber of its range meant it could handle the event, Collaros said.

"This is it. This is the coolest range on the East Coast, bar none," said Craig Young, match director and a former champion.

The event is not open to the public.

The competitors are meticulous to the point of obsession. They mount spotting scopes next to their rifle sights to make sure of their hits. A 10 score shot in that tiny middle ring is "best edge." Most of the bullet hole has to be inside the ring.

They mount their rifles on individually designed stands that look like clamps, vises, coffee urns or Christmas tree stands. Each competitor sets up his or her own collection of weather vanes down the line to the target, to show the variation and strength of breezes along the way.

The air rifles don't shoot BBs. They shoot specially designed pellets in a variety of small calibers, including .22, that look like tiny chess rooks. The rimfire rifles are so esoteric that even some veteran shooters have not heard of them. "Rimfire" means the firing pin strikes the rim of the end of the cartridge casing to ignite the gunpowder rather than the center. The design allows a lighter rifle to be used. And when it comes to target shooting, lighter means pinpoint.

"You change the barrel, lighter trigger, and it reduces vibration," said Robert Williams, of the gun club. "It becomes more accurate."

It takes a delicate touch. The average rifle trigger squeezes with about 6 pounds of pressure. The triggers in this tournament squeeze with an ounce of pressure, barely a feathering of the trigger finger.

The sportsmanship, too, is fine. John Patzwald of the Australian team had his rifle jam during the first round. It would have cooked him for the competition. But the club stepped in and found him another one, a new high-tech model -- a step up so good that he has to re-learn the touch.

"It's shooting very well. It's shooting better than mine," he said. "I just need to learn how to shoot."

Reach Bo Petersen at 937-5744 or follow him on Twitter at www.twitter.com/bopete.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:17 am