www.airgunsinc.org

Enjoy a not-out-of-the box free thinking forum dedicated to discussing or buying/selling your hunt, gear, favorite airgun, tactics in regard to Air Guns from the newbie to the very experienced even if you're doing nothing more than collecting!

Username:
Password:
Log me on automatically at each visit:
:: I forgot my password

Contribute to www.airgunsinc.org

Who is online?

In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

Most users ever online was 66 on Sat May 28, 2011 5:55 pm

Lubed spring gun pellets

07condor22
    Ranger
    Ranger

Lubed spring gun pellets

Post by 07condor22 on Sat Jul 23, 2011 11:55 am

My RWS 34P rebuild is complete and it was a tremendous success! If you decide to do this by yourself I recommend using a spring compressor-or have a friend push the trigger group retaining pins into the compression tube?

Idid the initial break in with some crosman
    premier heavy paper box pellets and it didn't like 'em! Off the rest I
    could hold about an inch at 30 yards. I just ordered some JSB Diabolo
    Exact Heavy .177 Cal, 10.2 Grains, Domed, 500ct and tried some off the
    rest. Now these were the ticket, could hold 1/2inch off the rest and
    close to that offhand at 30yards. I ordered from Straight Shooters,
    simply the best price, I could find?

http://www.straightshooters.com/index.html

http://www.straightshooters.com/jsb/jpjsbexact.html

http://www.pyramydair.com/cgi-bin/zoomed_model.pl?model_id=388&type=P

Ilubed a box of the JSB Heavies with some Finish line-Krytech, a dry
    moly-teflon chain lube. I have had good luck before and it didn't let me
    down today. Didn't test 'em on the bench, but my off hand plinking
    proved dead on! Allow ample time for Krytech to dry or cure, in liquid
    form it's extremely flammable!

http://www.finishlineusa.com/products/kry-tech.htm

Some
    say don't lube spring gun pellets, but John Wiscombe, who built the
    most powerful spring guns of his time recommended lube and invented
    wiscombe honey? I'm still learning and I can rebuild or replace my gun
    should it not work out. I think light pellets and my ignorance destroyed
    the first spring and with lubed heavy pellets may do the same again? Rolling Eyes

BTW
    Telling my friends I could make a sonic boom with a pellet from my
    spring and proving it, made the looks of disbelief-all most worth
    it-would first shoot a heavy pellet and then shoot a Gamo gimmick gold
    raptor pellet to make the boom. Little did I know it was destroying my
    spring. And these pellet contain iron or nickel. Get a good strong
    speaker or magnetron magnet http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2YZuxEtzD9c
    and wave it over the Raptor pellets and watch 'em dance? I don't think
    they're good for my barrel, either way my spring broke prematurely Sad

Sam sunny
    Abda
    Admin
    Admin

Re: Lubed spring gun pellets

Post by Abda on Sat Jul 23, 2011 12:07 pm

Excellent post!

Thanks for sharing!

Check ur points! That's how impressed I am!

Anyway, your link to the magnets issue is the following that I felt would be good to post here. But, I have something to add about that I'll get to later on here.

Now, as he states, he doesn't know what kind of magnets that those are. So, this tells me he isn't aware of Rare Earth Magnets.

You notice how he put the screwdriver to the magnet and just pulled it away? If that were a rare earth magnet, he wouldn't be able to do that. For my point to be well made, take a look at the following video.

Notice that those magnets are much, much smaller than those in the video that you shared with us.

Here I'm going to show you what a little 3/8's by half inch in length cylinder magnet does for me at my place for one of my gun racks and where I keep my cleaning rods when not using the other gun rack:

Now, what I did was I took and cut out the top to make a bigger half circle because while these are good single gun racks, they aren't really designed for air guns like the 9mm Career Ultra that has two air tubes underneath the barrel. And, it only had one magnet. So this meant that the gun barrel would not meet up the the magnet that was in the center of that half circle at the top of the system. Believe it or not, but the magnet, even that far away from the barrel would still hold it upright but just not enough to make me feel secure.

So, what I did was to cut out the circle to make it big enough to accommodate the barrel end of an Ultra. But this was still not, to me, stable enough so I called and got a favorable response from the people I bought it from when I asked for the same type of magnets. When I got them, (two more of them) I drilled holes in the ends since the original magnet was dead center.

Now, I don't store my PCP in an upright position. I've been warned off from doing that. So, that one rack there WAS for my filling station to have the rifle mounted and out of the way while I did my thing. I'll end up moving that set up to the other side of the room where my filling station now resides but later on.

But, for now, it holds my cleaning rods. But this is just an example of those rare earth magnets: And it takes some force to pull them off the rack too!Notice the one cleaning rod is stuck on way before the handle? And it doesn't slide down? Cool, huh?

Anyway, this thing you are talking about putting "them" Get a good strong
    speaker or magnetron magnet http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2YZuxEtzD9c
    and wave it over the Raptor pellets and watch 'em dance? Can you explain that more? You mean just to see if they will adhere to the magnet?

If so, get a rare earth magnet and you'll find out for sure if there is any ferric ore and/or ferrous ore, steel , stain-less steel and many other "metals" and/or alloys are manufactured by Man within the pellets in question!

Now, for the crack: I can give a lot of my semi professional opinion about this but I think my point better made by what others have to say about this. So, I'm going to post a link to something I found as a knee jerk search on the web that states a lot of what you may already know or may want to know and definitely what our "new to airguns readers" will want to be aware.

Check out this link: Air Rifle velocity increase. If I had my druthers, I'd post the entire thread there but for what we want, we'll just share this:

JohnKSaMay 21, 2006, 11:20 PM
    Pressures inside a spring-piston airgun chamber can peak briefly around 1400 psi. Physics tells us that compressing a gas causes the temperature to rise--in this case temperatures can exceed 1000 degrees F for a very brief instant.

That is certainly WELL above the flashpoint of most petroleum products which is why spring-piston chamber lubricants are petroleum free. WD40 is more than 95% petroleum products so it is definitely a bad idea to put it in your airgun compression chamber.

Intentionally introducing large quantities of flammable materials into the chamber will cause detonation or severe dieseling which can damage the gun (even to the extent of bulging or rupturing the compression chamber) and, in extreme cases, even pose a danger to the shooter.

That is besides the damaging effect that some solvents can have on the seals in a spring piston airgun.

In addition, the value of the extra power gained by this detonation effect is minimal since the accuracy will be very poor.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    So my points about he lube are to be aware of the physics involved and do be aware that if it *is* a sonic crack, the pellet is more than likely going to be "tipped" and tumble in trajectory flight therefore making accuracy a false statement in any sentence used with *true* "Sonic Crack".

Just IMHO.

I'd like your thoughts on this and I think it GREAT conversation and info to share!

Again, thank you for that EXCELLENT post!

Last edited by Abda on Sat Jul 23, 2011 2:33 pm; edited 1 time in total

_________________www.airgunsinc.org______________
    I've had a few. Now I've only got two.
    It's all I really need!

StubExt
    Field Ranger
    Field Ranger

Post by StubExt on Sat Jul 23, 2011 2:19 pm

I need to rebuild my 177 RWS 52 as its only shooting about 650 fps with Kodiaks and used to push them to just over 900 fps. Its on the second spring but the distributor replaced the first many years ago. I am finding the replacements parts from UMAREX to be about as good of deal as anywhere. I hope I can find good instructions for changing the spring. Sounds like another tool may be best???

I never showed accuracy improvement in testing various pellet lubes but I do it occasionally for maintenance.

_________________www.airgunsinc.org______________

• Air Ranger .25 Hawke Side Tact 6.5-20 1/2 MD
    • Custom Stubby Extreme .25 Hawke Side Tact 6.5-20 1/2 MD
    • Condor .25 Hawke Side tact 6.5-20 1/2 MD
    • Drozd Blackbird - Full Auto - HPA - 1200 rpm 900 fps Red dot
    • Marauder .25 Hawke Varmint SF 6-24 1/2 MD
    • Marauder .22 Pistol Hawke Panorama 4-12 1/2 MD
    • Sheridan Streak .20
    • Sheridan Pistol 177
    • Beeman R1 22
    • Diana RWS 52 177
    • Shoebox

07condor22
    Ranger
    Ranger

Post by 07condor22 on Sat Jul 23, 2011 3:46 pm

Didn't know anything about springers, when I bought my Walmart Crosman. I had it diesel when I sprayed some silicon lube down into the compression tube, at the recommendation of posted tips on a forum. It went off like shotgun and kicked very hard and scared the crap out of me. I didn't give the liquid carrier enough time to evaporate, or it wouldn't mattered anyway.

I would never use any liquid accelerant to boost pellet speed, to dangerous in my opinion.

I used to shoot the Gamo Raptors in my Crossman and RWS springers, just to hear them crack! Never souped 'em up and also will never will use the Raptors ever again for anything.

Sam cheers

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Sep 24, 2017 2:40 pm